Autore Topic: New England Patriots  (Letto 266332 volte)

Offline ThePatriot

• Veteran
  • Calcio: F.C. Juventus
  • NFL: New England Patriots
Re: New England Patriots
« Risposta #1185 il: Gennaio 05, 2010, 02:57:41 pm »
manco a farlo apposta....all'una e quaranta ho parlato di welker son bastate 5 ore e mezza  e quelker era rotto...:(

HOUSTON - Personally, I've never been a believer in resting players when there are games still to be played. I'm still not.

Given what happened Sunday afternoon in Houston, however, I can see why so many people are.

On the Patriots' fourth offensive play, Pro Bowl wide receiver Wes Welker took a short pass from fellow all-star Tom Brady and turned up field. As he planted his left foot to avoid Texans safety Bernard Pollard, Welker's cleats appeared to get caught in the Reliant Stadium grass. His knee buckled, and as Welker hit the ground, he clutched his knee and remained there so several moments.

Welker's injury looked a lot like the one Brady suffered a season ago. The one that required extensive surgery and months of rehabilitation. At this point, the extent of Welker's injury is unclear, but watching him limp off the field, sit dejectedly on the bench with his head in his heads, and get carted to the locker with a towel over his head was an indication, it seemed, that he may not return to the lineup anytime soon.

New England can ill afford to enter the playoffs next weekend without one of their most potent offensive weapons. But it looks like they may have no choice. They've struggled all this year to find a consistent third wide receiver behind Welker and Randy Moss. The potential absence of Welker now leaves the Patriots particularly thin at the position.

With a playoff spot already guaranteed, the Patriots' only incentive to beat Houston was to try to secure the third seed in the AFC (which they eventually did with Cincinnati's loss at the Jets). All week, speculation swirled around the team and how they would approach this game. The consensus in the media was that head coach Bill Belichick would rest his key players to prevent something as devastating as Welker's injury. But the Patriots came out fighting, even after losing Welker, and had a two-touchdown lead in the fourth quarter.

As they've done too many times already this season, though, the Patriots squandered that seemingly comfortable cushion and wound up losing to the Texans, 34-27. But clearly, Welker's loss is the more immediate concern.

Without him, New England will likely have to rely on rookie Julian Edelman to fill the gaping void. He did so against Houston, finishing the afternoon as the Patriots' leading receiver (10 catches, 103 yards).

"I don't know what happened to him or what it is," Edelman said of Welker's status afterward, "but, yeah, I'm going to have to do a lot of studying and prepare like I've prepared all year. All I can do is work hard and take the coaching that we've had and go with it.

"That's what I did this week – prepare for every play. Whatever happens, happens."

After the game, Brady uncharacteristically exited the visitors locker room at Reliant Stadium without speaking to reporters. Instead, backup QB Brian Hoyer, who saw some action at various points in the game, fielded questions from the media, including some about fellow rookie Edelman's performance.

"He really stepped up and played well," Hoyer said. "He's a tough guy. He's going to fight for every yard and that's what you saw out there today. I think he did a great job.

"I think people have been comparing him to Wes a long time. But Julian's his own player and he did really well today."

"He did a good job," added TE Chris Baker. "He came in and has gotten better each week. He's not a rookie anymore."

Edelman can't afford to be. Especially not if he's going to have to replace Welker in the Patriots offense this post-season.

"I have to keep on working," he said. "We didn't get the win out here. We have a lot of room for improvement. We have to put this behind us. We have another season coming on. We're going to work hard, see what we can do."

"We've got a lot of work to do going forward," echoed RB Fred Taylor. "You hate to lose … we just gotta move forward. We've got another season to look forward to."

"Right now," said Baker, "we're just looking forward to the playoffs."

"The big thing is, we have the playoffs coming up," Hoyer emphasized, "so we have to move on and focus on next week."

Most likely without Welker.

Offline joeflacco5

• Pro Bowler
  • purple&black pride..
  • Calcio: Genoa CFC
  • MLB: LA Dodgers
  • NBA: Chicago Bulls
  • NCAA F: Oklahoma Sooners
  • NFL: Baltimore Ravens
  • NHL: Detroit Red Wings
« Risposta #1186 il: Gennaio 05, 2010, 03:04:10 pm »
Brady su Welker:

You can’t replace him, there’s no doubt about that,” Brady said. “He’s one of those guys that there’s nobody who can substitute in for Wes and think that they’re going to be Wes. He’s everything you ask for. He’s just an incredible player and leader, and I think that as football goes, it’s kind of the way that it works, unfortunately. We’ve got to move on

Offline ThePatriot

• Veteran
« Risposta #1187 il: Gennaio 06, 2010, 12:25:07 pm »
queste sono un po' di domande di lettori a erik scalavino....

Since it sounds like Wes Welker's done for the year, would the Patriots still be allowed to sign a free agent? Would Reche Caldwell or David Givens be options? Both are out of work and have worked with Brady and might be able to provide depth. If they sign one of them, which one would they sign? Thanks.
Jacob Meseke

Being so thin at a receiver, I wonder about bringing Marvin Harrison for the playoffs. There are a hundred good reasons not to bring the old Colt, but what if he proves that an 8-time Pro Bowler has some magic left by helping us beat the Chargers and his old team?
Dan Truebeck

Come playoff time, teams that make the post-season can make a limited number of transactions, including signing free agents to their active roster as needed. To be clear, a free agent, in this particular case, is NOT a player (e.g. Deion Branch or Terrell Owens) who was on another team this past year and is scheduled to be on the free agent market this coming offseason; it is a player who was not on another team’s active roster at the end of the regular season. Caldwell, Givens, and Harrison are all in that category – they had been and are currently out of football. So, theoretically, the Patriots could sign any of these players. They won’t, however, because none is an attractive option. They are all far beyond the point of being useful at this level.
Erik Scalavino

So with Welker presumably headed to IR, that opens up a roster spot. With Isaiah Stanback already on our 53-man roster and Terrence Nunn in Tampa Bay (a real bummer there – I liked the guy), what options do we have if we want to refill our WR depth?
Philip Antin

In all likelihood, the Patriots will have to stick with what they have: Stanback, rookie Julian Edelman, Sam Aiken, and even Matthew Slater to complement Randy Moss. They may also be forced to call up first-year player Darnell Jenkins from the practice squad, if only to provide some depth. Not a very comforting thought, I know, but that’s the reality of the situation.
Erik Scalavino

What is the timeframe for a receiver to recover from this kind of injury? Is it career threatening?
Kyle Witkoski

From the reports we’re seeing, it appears Welker suffered a nearly identical injury to the one QB Tom Brady did in 2008 (torn anterior cruciate and medial collaterl ligaments – ACL and MCL – in the left knee). And we all know that by the following spring, Brady was back on the practice field with his teammates for mini-camp. Best-case scenario: if Welker undergoes surgery this month, then he’ll probably be out of action till late summer, it would seem.

Once upon a time, an injury of this magnitude would have ended a player’s career right then and there. But in this day and age, such procedures are routine and Welker will almost certainly take the field again. The question you should be asking is, will he be the same player he’s been the past three seasons here in New England? Sadly, that’s impossible to answer at the moment.
Erik Scalavino

Guys, my question goes to Bill Belichick's comments about the Houston field condition and its contribution to Wes Welker's injury. I was at the game in Houston and saw players warming up at least 90 minutes before kickoff, as well as BB out there walking around before the game. When is it the head coach’s responsibility to possibly forfeit a game if he finds the field conditions terrible? Has this ever been done before? My feeling is if the field was that bad, he should not have let his team play and risk injury. The responsibility is on Houston, but also BB.
John in Dallas

I read Belichick’s comments, too, which he made during his regularly scheduled appearance on WEEI radio in Boston. And having actually walked on the Reliant Stadium field after the game, I can confirm that it was indeed soggy, as some players, including Edelman, described it afterwards. The field was a patchwork of grass, with the end zones and the midfield logo area having been replaced  just days after the Texas Bowl between Navy and Missouri was played there on New Year’s Eve. The area where Welker was injured – out near the numbers – was the same surface the college game was played on. It wasn’t the greatest turf I’ve ever seen, but it certainly wasn’t the worst.

For example, before the Patriots switched to their current FieldTurf surface in 2006, they played a game against the Miami Dolphins, if memory serves, in which sand was tossed up in huge clouds, and later, in a loss to the Jets, when chunks of grass and mud were being ripped up on every play. That was a much worse field than the one the Patriots saw in Houston last Sunday. I can’t recall an NFL coach ever refusing to play a game because of field conditions. When asked about any recourse he could take with the league, Belichick refused to answer today at his daily press briefing. Bottom line: if Welker hadn’t been hurt, the field condition topic would never have been brought up because it really wasn’t that much of an issue.
Erik Scalavino

As most of Patriot Nation, I am very saddened by the loss of Welker, but I think that talent-wise we have enough to overcome the loss. My question is, where is that talent going to come from? Many feel that Edelman, who I think will pick up a lot of the load, but how about the tight end position? Is there a reason why we hardly use the position in the passing game? I feel like Benjamin Watson and Chris Baker are pretty good receiving threats, but they are rarely utilized. Am I not seeing something? Are they not getting separation? Are they strictly being left to block?
Chuck Ackerson

So, let me get this straight, Chuck … you believe there’s enough talent on this offense to overcome the loss of Welker, yet you can’t pinpoint where that talent is going to come from? Sounds to me like you don’t even believe your own argument. Fact is, Edelman was just starting to come into his own as a number-three option, but now he’s forced into the number-two spot. And I’ve seen nothing from the rest of the roster to give me any optimism that someone will suddenly emerge as a viable threat on the outside opposite Moss.

With regard the tight ends, it’s icing on the cake to have a tight end who’s a primary receiving threat – an Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez type. But teams that have tight ends in that role typically don’t have great crops of wide receivers. So, expecting Watson and/or Baker to take on an added role is a double-edged sword, it would seem. Yes, it would be nice if they could provide some help, but that would mean that your wide receivers aren’t pulling their own weight. New England has tried to get the tight ends involved in the offense, but not with any consistency this year. I agree with your point, though. There’s no better time than now to give them more opportunities.
Erik Scalavino

Will Jerod Mayo ever be more than just a productive player? Will he be the playmaker we're all hoping he becomes?
Pascal Rawls-Philippe

That’s a really difficult question to answer, Pascal. I believe Mayo has the ability to become that kind of player. And I expected to see him make more of a leap from last year to this, but then he hurt his knee in the opener. Perhaps that set him back a bit when he returned. Perhaps the scheme and what he was asked to do in it also were also factors. Whatever the reason, he’s had about the same type of season he had a year ago. That’s not the kind of growth we’re looking for, but it’s also too early to abandon any hopes that he’ll get there one day.
Erik Scalavino

Do you think Laurence Maroney will play another snap in New England? I remember a player named Doug Gabriel. He was an emerging receiver when he lost a crucial fumble against the Jets. He was benched for the rest of that game and never played again. Maroney was an emerging running back, lost a crucial fumble and has not played since. Same situation?
Andrew Grigg

No. Completely different, actually. Gabriel was a so-so player for whom the Patriots traded to help boost an utterly desperate wide receiver roster. Expectations were low from the get-go with him. Maroney is a former first-round pick, meaning it’s in the team’s best interest to give him every opportunity to succeed. Gabriel wasn’t getting it here, and that fumble against the Jets was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Maroney has lost more than one crucial fumble this year and has been given chances thereafter, save the Jacksonville game, in which he was benched. My guess is he’ll be in uniform on Sunday against the Ravens. Next season … well, that’s another story. We’ll deal with that when the time comes.
Erik Scalavino

Now that Buffalo's Bobby April is out of there, do you see the Pats making a move on him? One has to like him back with Sam Aiken and teaching youngsters like Slater, Edelman and Darius Butler the ropes. Yes? No? Maybe?
Roy Kiesler

Again … no. I’d be shocked if the Patriots parted with Scott O’Brien. He and Belichick go way back and there have been no major issues with special teams in O’Brien’s first year with this team. April will get a job somewhere in the NFL, but most likely not in New England. 
Erik Scalavino

sono d'accordissimo su maroney.....e anche su mayo.....e non capisco perchè dovremmo prendere april.....mah

Offline joeflacco5

• Pro Bowler
  • purple&black pride..
  • Calcio: Genoa CFC
  • MLB: LA Dodgers
  • NBA: Chicago Bulls
  • NCAA F: Oklahoma Sooners
  • NFL: Baltimore Ravens
  • NHL: Detroit Red Wings
« Risposta #1188 il: Gennaio 06, 2010, 01:23:18 pm »
BB ha dato la colpa dell'infortunio di Wes al campo... :plaxico:

Offline ThePatriot

• Veteran
« Risposta #1189 il: Gennaio 07, 2010, 06:33:14 pm »
bb ha perso ogni pudore ormai.....come si fa a dare la colpa dell'infortunio a welker...se non alla tua testa contorta...se vuoi rischiare brady contro i texans fallo....ma almeno non mettere wlker subito.....

Offline Marino

• Moderatore della sezione
  • Hall of Famer
  • Calcio: INTER
  • MLB: CHICAGO CUBS
  • NBA: MIAMI HEAT
  • NCAA F: FLORIDA GATORS
  • NFL: MIAMI DOLPHINS
  • NHL: VANCOUVER CANUCKS
« Risposta #1190 il: Gennaio 07, 2010, 06:40:31 pm »
bb ha perso ogni pudore ormai.....come si fa a dare la colpa dell'infortunio a welker...se non alla tua testa contorta...se vuoi rischiare brady contro i texans fallo....ma almeno non mettere wlker subito.....

...io ho sempre considerato WW essenziale nel gioco dei Pats....ora tocca ad Edelman, che mi è parso un buon giocatore sostituirlo, credo che nella partita con i Ravens i Pats debbano cercare di correre un po'di più e fermare a loro volta il gioco di corse di Baltimore.....in ogni cosa credo siano le corse il fattore decisivo dell'incontro....per l'infortunio di WW credo sia solo questione di sfiga....la storia del campo è una cretinata!!

Offline ThePatriot

• Veteran
« Risposta #1191 il: Gennaio 07, 2010, 06:46:19 pm »
una cretinata è dir poco...solo una mente come bill poteva dire una cosa del genere.....

brady in difficoltà 90 su 100 lancia su welker....questo è un bel dilemma....adesso brady dovrà per forza di cose appoggiarsi su moss per corse importanti....e meno male che moss è un fenomeno.....altrimenti erano cazzi....

cmq brady ha vinto partite con stallworth e galloway idem con gaffney....quindi penso che ce la possa fare....aspetto con ansia la definitiva esplosione di edelman che mi pare uno che ha gamba che ha talento e che possa diventare uno importante

Plaxico

• Visitatore
« Risposta #1192 il: Gennaio 07, 2010, 06:46:46 pm »

cioè fammi capire sul piano del rischio meglio rischiare brady che welker?  :merda:

Offline ThePatriot

• Veteran
« Risposta #1193 il: Gennaio 07, 2010, 06:51:50 pm »
no....non mi hai capito....BB pensando di essere furbo :ninja: 8)...mette brady e welker.....e io dico...se vuoi fare quello furbo.....metti brady con edelman tate e compagnia bella...invece di mettere sia brady che welker.....perchè lui dice...hoyer gli faccio fare l'ultimo drive e nessuno pensa male di me MUAHAHAHA....invece non è così che funziona :noo:

capito? :asdlol:

Offline Marino

• Hall of Famer
« Risposta #1194 il: Gennaio 07, 2010, 06:59:41 pm »
Per me porcata per porcata schierava tutte le seconde linee, aveva la scusa di non voler rischiare infortuni seri anessun top e morta lì ma siccome pensa di essere intelligente adesso vorrebbe anche essere consolato per aver perso WW e da' la colpa al campo per l'infortunio .....dopo che ha anche avuto la faccia tosta di togliere BRADY nell'ultimo drive.....credo che se i Pats vogliano recuperare un po'd'immagine nei cfr delle altre tifoserie debbano considerare di sbarazzarsi prima o poi di questo "GENIO".....per ora un sincero Vaffa al Sig.Belichick e un in bocca al lupo ai tifosi dei Pats!! ;) ;)

Offline ThePatriot

• Veteran
« Risposta #1195 il: Gennaio 07, 2010, 07:05:35 pm »
crepi il lupo naturalmonte....:ahahah:

comunque io da qualche parte l'ho già detto...sono almeno due/tre anni che ai pats l'aria è pesante..e per me qualche big ha qualche grillo per la testa.....e secondo me l'unica cosa che si può fare è cambiare...il ciclo pats è finito...adesso bisogna ricominciarne un altro con un altro HC....per me, poi sappiamo tutti che abbiamo visioni diverse....magari qualcuno dice che c'è il rischio di diventare una franchigia scarsella....però sono pronto a prendere il rischio...cambiare HC è il primo passo...e in caso di uscita alle WC qualche piccolo scricchiolio comincierebbe ad esserci ;)

p.s. son d'accordo con te....se voleva perdere teneva fuori tutti gli starter e metteva i backup.....però lui è BB.....ed è fatto così

Offline Marino

• Hall of Famer
« Risposta #1196 il: Gennaio 07, 2010, 07:12:52 pm »
tra l'altro ho una strana impressione....mi pare che BB quest'anno non si accontenti di vincere ma voglia andare oltre e per farlo sta rischiando cose fino a poco tempo fa impensabilii....prima i quarti tentativi giocati , contro Ind, Miami e qualcun altro che adesso mi sfugge, poi l'infortunio di WW nella partita più inutile per i Pats dell'anno, e il nervosismo che trasmette non è salutare a nessuno, soprattutto a TB....per vincere contro i Ravens credo che i Pats abbiano bisogno di ritrovare un minimo di serenità(termine strano per il FA ma che credo appropriato)!!

Offline ThePatriot

• Veteran
« Risposta #1197 il: Gennaio 07, 2010, 07:18:30 pm »
la penso come te.....forse anche belichick sente questa aria e ha un po' di paura......perchè in certe partite che magari erano vinte si è tentato di strafare con l'obiettivo principale di convincere....la stampa kraft chi non lo so....ma sta di fatto che belichick sta tirando un po' troppo la corda....e c'è il serio rischio che si spezzi contro i ravens

Offline Marino

• Hall of Famer
« Risposta #1198 il: Gennaio 07, 2010, 07:22:16 pm »
I Ravens sono una squadra estremamente conservativa.....se cominciassero a sfruttare eventuali turnover o cazzate come quelle viste durante l'anno da parte di BB, recuperare potrebbe essere molto difficile....oltretutto i Pats di quest'anno non mi paiono gli Steelers dell'anno scorso.....

Offline ThePatriot

• Veteran
« Risposta #1199 il: Gennaio 07, 2010, 07:30:19 pm »
i pats di quest'anno mi sembrano abbastanza simili a quelli dell'anno scorso...l'unica differenza sostanziale brady per cassel....il che non è poco...ma neanche abbastanza....

gli steelers dell'anno scorso avrebbero vinto anche giocando in 10....era il loro anno...come questo è l'anno di minnesota....penso