Autore Topic: :::::: NBA OFFICIAL TOPIC ::::::  (Letto 485450 volte)

Offline contedefa

• Rookie
Re::::::: NBA OFFICIAL TOPIC ::::::
« Risposta #6585 il: Dicembre 10, 2011, 03:04:32 pm »
Condivido pienamente e su Amare all'epoca avevo i miei dubbi, invece

Overvaluing Point Guard Play Hits Apex With Vetoed Trade
By: Jonathan Tjarks
Dec 09, 2011 12:04 PM EST

If you ever wondered whether the group of small-market owners pushing David Stern so hard during the lockout knew what they were doing, that question was answered last night. The Lakers were dismantling a team that had went 12-2 in playoff series over the last four years, and those owners, through Stern, forced them to stop.

Los Angeles, with its dominating trio of skilled, athletic and versatile 6’10+ big men, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum, is the league’s gold standard. The only teams that have beaten them, the 2008 Boston Celtics and 2011 Dallas Mavericks, went on to win the championship. Neither franchise, now that both have lost the starting center from their title teams, looks capable of challenging the Lakers this season.

The Lakers were giving away both Odom and Gasol for a 6’0 175 point guard with a history of serious knee problems. Chris Paul is a great player, but point guards do not win championships.

He played about as well as a point guard could in the Hornets first-round series against the Lakers last year, averaging 22 points, 11.5 assists and 6.7 rebounds on 54.5% shooting. His PER in that series was 28.7; for some perspective, there are only two players with higher career PER’s: Michael Jordan (30.9) and Wilt Chamberlain (30.7).

Did it matter? No. The Hornets never had a realistic chance to win that series. When the Lakers got serious in Games 5 and 6, they won by an average of 17 points. New Orleans started a 6’10, 255 center (Emeka Okafor) and a 6’9 240 power forward (David West); Bynum and Gasol combined to shoot 25-for-48 (52%) from the field in the last two games, and there was nothing Paul could do about it.

A Lakers team built around Paul, Kobe and Bynum is pretty vulnerable. What if Bynum gets hurt again? The only other big man on the Lakers roster is 2010 second-round pick Derrick Caracter. A team like the Memphis Grizzlies, with Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph on the low block, would demolish a Lakers squad built around two ball-dominant guards in that scenario.

Now, with Paul unlikely to be traded, Los Angeles can get back to pursuing the real prize of the off-season: Dwight Howard. They’re still the only team in the NBA who can offer Orlando a young two-way 7’0 like Bynum. A team with Kobe, Gasol and Howard is much better than one with Paul, Kobe and Howard, and a hole at point guard is easier to fill than a hole at power forward.

If the last twenty years have taught us anything, it’s that championship teams do not need great point guard play. Here are the starting point guards for the 20 NBA champions since 1991: John Paxson twice, BJ Armstrong, Kenny Smith twice, Ron Harper three times, Avery Johnson, Derek Fisher three times, Tony Parker, Chauncey Billups, Parker, Jason Williams, Parker, Rajon Rondo, Fisher two more times and a 38-year old Jason Kidd.

The point guard, in many ways, is akin to the wide-receiver in football. No matter how great a wide-out is, without good play from their quarterback and offensive line, there isn’t much they can do to affect a game. Randy Moss could only watch futilely when the New York Giants defensive line prevented Tom Brady from having time in the pocket in Super Bowl 42, just as Paul could only watch helplessly as Gasol and Bynum abused his big men last year.

While a great point guard will make his teammates better on offense, the only way Paul was making West and Okafor better on defense was with a bag of beans from Jack’s magic bean-stalk that would make them taller. In contrast, a great big man makes his teammates better on both sides of the ball, as he can command double teams on offense and contain dribble penetration on defense.

That’s why there was no real need for the New York Knicks to add Paul. Paul value comes from his ability to create easy shots for his teammates, but Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire don’t need anyone creating shots for them. They can do that themselves; that’s why they are both perennial All-Stars.

Amar'e did just fine without Steve Nash in New York City. When Nash was winning two MVP’s in Phoenix, everyone wanted to act like Amar'e was “Nash’s creation”, like Nash was responsible for the fact that Amare was a 6’10 245 forward with a lightning-quick first step and a wet jumper. Without Nash, Amare averaged 25.3 points on 50.2% shooting from the field, more than good enough for the primary offensive option on a championship-team.

In contrast, by making up for their mistakes defensively, in the same way that he did for Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Kidd and Jason Terry in Dallas, Tyson Chandler will make Amare and Carmelo far better players than Paul could. It really doesn’t matter who the Knicks play in the back-court: all their guards need to do is dribble up the court, pass the ball to one of their All-Stars and then stand in a corner and knock down open 3-pointers. Toney Douglas, Bill Walker, Landry Fields and Iman Shumpert can manage that.

By leaving Dallas and going to New York City, Chandler swung the balance of power in the NBA, removing the Mavericks from title contention while giving the Knicks a legitimate chance at one. In contrast, Chris Paul’s Hornets aren’t going anywhere, and unless Deron Williams gets a center, neither are the Nets.

The road to an NBA championship goes through the middle of the paint, which is why the veto of a trade that would exchange two of the best 6’10+ players in the NBA for a 6’0 point guard was the best thing that could have happened to the Lakers. Instead of being angry at David Stern, fans of the Lakers should be sending him flowers.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/article/217220/Overvaluing_Point_Guard_Play_Hits_Apex_With_Vetoed_Trade#ixzz1g8lfKHwL

Offline Westwood

• Senior
« Risposta #6586 il: Dicembre 10, 2011, 03:50:06 pm »
Sottoscrivo completamente.
Aggiungo: non solo gasol e odom sono big men nel senso che possono controllare insieme a bynum il paint, ma sono anche buoni passatori e tirano decentemente i liberi, bynum compreso.
Howard ovviamente e' meglio di bynum come centro, ma il lusso di farsi fare fallo sapendo di poter realizzare i liberi con qualunque big man sia in campo non credo sia molto sostituibile, e di fatto fa sceliere agli avversari se riempirsi di falli o lasciare piu' liberta'. Gasol+Odom+Bynum molto meglio di Howard+qualcun altro, a meno che quel qualcun altro non sia Gasol...

Offline contedefa

• Rookie
« Risposta #6587 il: Dicembre 10, 2011, 08:08:47 pm »
Sottoscrivo completamente.
Aggiungo: non solo gasol e odom sono big men nel senso che possono controllare insieme a bynum il paint, ma sono anche buoni passatori e tirano decentemente i liberi, bynum compreso.
Howard ovviamente e' meglio di bynum come centro, ma il lusso di farsi fare fallo sapendo di poter realizzare i liberi con qualunque big man sia in campo non credo sia molto sostituibile, e di fatto fa sceliere agli avversari se riempirsi di falli o lasciare piu' liberta'. Gasol+Odom+Bynum molto meglio di Howard+qualcun altro, a meno che quel qualcun altro non sia Gasol...

evidentemente io, te e il giornalista siamo gli unici a condividere questa opinione.
I Lakers hanno riproposto la trade e aspettano il via libera NBA.
Si dice che il lato Houston non cambia (Gasol, Scola, Martin e prima scelta anche se non ho letto Dragic) a questo punto immagino LA abbia messo Odom e la prima scelta.
Stern ha detto che voleva scelto per avere talento futuro su cui costruire ma Dragic è giovane ed è un play valido, Jack 40 minuti a sera nn lo vedo bene, meglio per Martin che sparerà a piacere (e x il mio fantasy).

Bulls vanno su Hamilton (se è al minimo) grande mossa, aggiungono uno scorer in una zona di campo 5/6 metri che non sfruttavamo molto. Mi sembra cmq che J-Rich sia ancora libero, anche una midlevel a lui nn sarebbe male.

SA complety out, forse prende Howard Josh, che cmq sono 2 anni che, causa infortuni è ridicolo, ma sotto nn ha preso nessuno. Rischiano di nn fare i playoff perchè Clips and Utah mi sembrano decisamente meglio anche se inesperte.
In una stagione corta penso che l'atleticismo e la freschezza dei giocatori delle 2 squadre sopra possa essere + importante dell'esperienza degli Spurs.

Offline Young 8

• Moderatore della sezione
  • Hall of Famer
« Risposta #6588 il: Dicembre 11, 2011, 08:41:24 am »
Lakers mollano Paul e "regalano" Odom a  Dallas

:mmahh:

Offline Westwood

• Senior
« Risposta #6589 il: Dicembre 11, 2011, 10:29:30 am »
Lakers mollano Paul e "regalano" Odom a  Dallas

:mmahh:

Non ho capito bene se in questo modo i Lakers creano una trade exception da utilizzare per prendere Howard. Di certo Kupchack non e' stupido e qualcosa ha in mente.

Anyway abbiamo raggiunto il ridicolo. Per una volta mi trovavo d'accordo con Hollinger di ESPN che la trade per Paul per i Lakers era una vera mazzata, e finalmente sono rinsaviti.

Peggio ancora, Adesso sembra che la migliore offerta per Paul sia quella dei clippers che darebbero aminu+bledsoe+kaman+1a scelta minnesota 2012 in cambio di Paul. E questo sarebbe il deal migliore per gli hornets...ovvio che se viene accettato oltre a far incazzare lakers e rockets spiega benissimo che il miglior modo per valorizzare una franchigia sia quello di azzerare il suo salary cap e renderla flessibile, soprattutto in questo momento economico. Vorrei ricordare che il guadagno della vendita degli hornets andra' alle altre 29 franchigie, non per pensare male pero'... :fiu:

Il tirapiedi di lebron broussard di espn dice che i magic per howard vogliono almeno bynum E gasol, e dovrebbe andare a farsi ricoverare...a questa gente sfugge ancora che Howard, Paul e Deron Williams saranno free agent nel 2012 e possono di fatto mettere loro lo stesso veto di stern su qualcunque trade idiota che viene proposta.

Nel caso dei magic un bynum+altro+pick di dallas 2012 per howard+contratto orribile di turkoglu sarebbe gia' molto fair secondo me, visto che orlando si prende uno dei migliori centri giovani della lega, una pick e risparmia soldi.

Stein (uno dei pochi con sale in zucca espn) fa inoltre notare che odom ha un buyout a 3m il prossimo anno, cosa che renderebbe ancora piu' flessibile il salary cap di dallas che potrebbe andare aggressiva sul nativo di dallas deron williams

Non mi sorprenderei di vedere:
Lakers con Kobe+Gasol+Howard+una point guard a scelta chissenefrega e il mitttico Metta World Peace  :idolo:
Paul ai Clippers per una trade senza gordon ma senza firmare extension
Deron Williams che si incazza e inizia a dire che non firmera' con i nets perche' di fatto non ci sono piu' free agent interessanti in giro e quindi vuole una trade pure lui. Destinazioni? Naturalmente Dallas o Lakers, chettelodicoafare...con tanti saluti a stern e gilbert  :ahahah:

Offline contedefa

• Rookie
« Risposta #6590 il: Dicembre 11, 2011, 11:44:39 am »
Non ho capito bene se in questo modo i Lakers creano una trade exception da utilizzare per prendere Howard. Di certo Kupchack non e' stupido e qualcosa ha in mente.

Anyway abbiamo raggiunto il ridicolo. Per una volta mi trovavo d'accordo con Hollinger di ESPN che la trade per Paul per i Lakers era una vera mazzata, e finalmente sono rinsaviti.

Peggio ancora, Adesso sembra che la migliore offerta per Paul sia quella dei clippers che darebbero aminu+bledsoe+kaman+1a scelta minnesota 2012 in cambio di Paul. E questo sarebbe il deal migliore per gli hornets...ovvio che se viene accettato oltre a far incazzare lakers e rockets spiega benissimo che il miglior modo per valorizzare una franchigia sia quello di azzerare il suo salary cap e renderla flessibile, soprattutto in questo momento economico. Vorrei ricordare che il guadagno della vendita degli hornets andra' alle altre 29 franchigie, non per pensare male pero'... :fiu:

Il tirapiedi di lebron broussard di espn dice che i magic per howard vogliono almeno bynum E gasol, e dovrebbe andare a farsi ricoverare...a questa gente sfugge ancora che Howard, Paul e Deron Williams saranno free agent nel 2012 e possono di fatto mettere loro lo stesso veto di stern su qualcunque trade idiota che viene proposta.

Nel caso dei magic un bynum+altro+pick di dallas 2012 per howard+contratto orribile di turkoglu sarebbe gia' molto fair secondo me, visto che orlando si prende uno dei migliori centri giovani della lega, una pick e risparmia soldi.

Stein (uno dei pochi con sale in zucca espn) fa inoltre notare che odom ha un buyout a 3m il prossimo anno, cosa che renderebbe ancora piu' flessibile il salary cap di dallas che potrebbe andare aggressiva sul nativo di dallas deron williams

Lakers con Kobe+Gasol+Howard+una point guard a scelta chissenefrega e il mitttico Metta World Peace  :idolo:
Deron Williams che si incazza e inizia a dire che non firmera' con i nets perche' di fatto non ci sono piu' free agent interessanti in giro e quindi vuole una trade pure lui. Destinazioni? Naturalmente Dallas o Lakers, chettelodicoafare...con tanti saluti a stern e gilbert  :ahahah:

Stern ha salvato il culo ai Lakers, adesso possono prendere Howard e vincere con Paul facevano una cazzata. Mavs, cap a parte misteriosi.
Howard 109 ai nets x 5 anni ci credo quando vedo la conferenza stampa.
Bulls 10 x 2 anni Rip, va beh speravo nel minimo...
J-Rich segue i soldi e rifirma x Orlando 25 x 4anni

Offline contedefa

• Rookie
« Risposta #6591 il: Dicembre 11, 2011, 10:39:56 pm »
questa sarebbe una grossa, inaspettata sorpresa.
Pensata se andava la trade di Paul, Houston giocava coi 2 Gasol sotto :stun: :stun: :stun:

Rockets Close To Signing Marc Gasol To $55M Deal
Dec 11, 2011 3:20 PM EST

The Rockets are close to signing Marc Gasol to a max contract offer sheet worth $55 million over four seasons.

Houston is working on a sign-and-trade with Memphis to secure him.

The Grizzlies have been expected to retain Gasol, with the idea that they would match nearly an offer he would receive.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217390/Rockets_Close_To_Signing_Marc_Gasol_To_$55M_Deal#ixzz1gGSjS8PD

Offline contedefa

• Rookie
« Risposta #6592 il: Dicembre 11, 2011, 10:51:12 pm »
alla fine i mymen vogliono solo la grana, giocare per il titolo non gli frega una cippa

WojYahooNBA:
To be accurate, Boston had a sign-and-trade with New Orleans for David West ready to do.
West wanted more money annually, took Pacers offer

Offline Young 8

• Hall of Famer
« Risposta #6593 il: Dicembre 11, 2011, 11:51:59 pm »
    Source: Lamar Odom asked for trade

By Dave McMenamin
    ESPNLosAngeles.com

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- After all he had done in his seven years for the Los Angeles Lakers, forward Lamar Odom was so hurt by being included in a three-team trade for Chris Paul that was vetoed by the league, that he requested a trade Friday, according to a Lakers team source.

His request was granted late Saturday night when the Lakers sent Odom to the Dallas Mavericks for an $8.9 million trade exception, as well as Dallas' 2012 first-round pick and possibly additional draft considerations, according to ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

Los Angeles, Houston and New Orleans agreed on a deal Thursday that would have sent Odom and Lakers forward Pau Gasol to New Orleans for Hornets guard Paul. Gasol would then have been sent to Houston for Luis Scola, Kevin Martin, Goran Dragic and a 2012 first-round pick.

NBA commissioner David Stern nixed the trade shortly thereafter and said he was stepping in to protect the best interests of the Hornets, who are currently controlled by the league while it shops for a new owner for the franchise.

In the aftermath of the canceled deal, Odom skipped the Lakers first day of training camp Friday. He did, however, go to the practice facility to have a face-to-face meeting with general manager Mitch Kupchak, during which he expressed his desire to be traded, according to the source. Kupchak asked Odom to reconsider his position and told the 12-year veteran to think over his decision.

Odom abstained from practicing again on Saturday, instead using the practice time to undergo his annual team physical. In a conversation with Lakers management on Saturday, Odom's agent, Jeff Schwarz, reiterated Odom's desire to be traded, according to the source.

Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle spoke as if the deal was completed on Sunday.

"Right now, for me, having Odom, Dirk Nowitzki, Shawn Marion, we may have the best forward trio in this league right now. And that's exciting," Carlisle said. "Lamar Odom is a guy we have great respect for as a person and as an all-around player in this league. We feel he's going to add so many different dimensions for us -- length, playmaking, scoring, experience, championship experience."

Calls to Odom and Schwarz made by ESPNLosAngeles.com were not immediately returned.

Odom, 32, averaged 14.4 points, 8.7 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game last season while shooting a career-high 53 percent from the field.

While Odom opted to stay away from the team while the trades were still in flux, Gasol has continued to practice with the team in the interim. Gasol was present for the team's media day Sunday and even filmed a television promo for the Lakers' Christmas Day game against Chicago. He looked into a camera and declared, "We're back!" while wearing his No. 16 Lakers jersey.

"I don't think this is personal at all," Gasol said. "This is a business move, I think. The franchise is looking to do its best for the best interest of the franchise and the team. ... I'll just have to be professional. My wish is to stay here. I love being part of this team, this franchise, this city, their fans, everybody. So it's been during this last couple of days to have this uncertainty and insecurity. And probably, it's not over yet.

"I'm just going to be as professional as I can be and do my job and also just do what I love and play basketball and play with a team I like to play with."

Offline RiniLuca

• Pro Bowler
« Risposta #6594 il: Dicembre 12, 2011, 12:49:31 pm »

a me però ora viene il dubbio.....tolto Odom, con Fisher in declino, senza più Shennon.....chi la parta la palla? Farmar? oppure si buttano su un play FA, ma un Billups o un Barone li farebbero giocare per il titolo? bho io non credo.....sotto sotto magari un po' di senso cp3 lo aveva dai  :si:
Questo avatar è un apprezzamento verso il film "American History X" e la mia personale idealizzazione del poco-compianto Cobain, non rappresenta in alcun modo la mia idea politica o una passione omo per Edward Norton

Offline Westwood

• Senior
« Risposta #6595 il: Dicembre 12, 2011, 02:37:28 pm »
Paul forse ai clippers, trade sottoposta alla somma autorizzazione di Zar David...
Qui sembra che giochino a scemo e piu' scemo: all'inizio i clippers volevano dare solo la pick di minnesota, kaman, aminu e bledsoe ma NON gordon, come era logico (sti cazzi se vuoi questo bene altrimenti arrangiati)

E invece no! I clippers sembra che siano inseparabili da bledsoe e gli arriva pure paul, notare che hanno anche mo williams...

E la NBA dovrebbe accettare una trade con questa robazza invece di Odom+Scola+Martin+Dragic che c'era prima???

Bravi bravi, mi sembra di stare nel campionato italiano di calcio con questi giochini cretini... :mmahh:

The New Orleans Hornets and Los Angeles Clippers submitted a multiplayer blockbuster deal to the NBA on Sunday that would send All-Star point guard Chris Paul to Los Angeles, a source with knowledge of the discussions said Monday.

But the trade as submitted has one hitch: The league, which owns the Hornets, wanted Eric Bledsoe, while the Clippers want to keep their point guard, the source said.

The deal would be done if the league hadn't asked for Bledsoe, according to the source.

More From ESPN.com
Kevin Arnovitz says Blake Griffin could be the Clippers' biggest chip in luring Chris Paul to L.A. Story

The trade as submitted would cost the Clippers guard Eric Gordon, center Chris Kaman and forward Al-Farouq Aminu. It would also include Minnesota's first-round draft pick in 2012.

The Los Angeles Times, citing two sources familiar with the discussions, reported late Sunday the deal included Bledsoe, but the source told ESPN that is not so.

Offline Westwood

• Senior
« Risposta #6596 il: Dicembre 12, 2011, 03:50:20 pm »
Fossi in Howard alla luce della notizia qui sotto starei attento ad andare ai nets:

MOSCOW -- Mikhail Prokhorov, one of Russia's richest tycoons and the owner of the New Jersey Nets basketball team, said Monday he will run against Prime Minister Vladimir Putin in the March presidential election.

Possibili scenari:

1- Nets nazionalizzati diventano il nuovo CSKA
2- Prokhorov in gattabuia in siberia, nets diventano proprieta' della NBA
3- "tragica fatalita' nell'aria: l'aereo dei new jersey nets colpito da un missile durante esercitazioni dei caccia americani. Muore anche il presidente Prokhorov a pochi giorni dalle elezioni in Russia che lo vedevano favorito contro Putin"  :shok:

Offline Westwood

• Senior
« Risposta #6597 il: Dicembre 12, 2011, 04:52:14 pm »
JJ Barea ai Wolves per 4 anni e 19m...
I wolves se non hanno almeno 4-5 PGs non sono contenti, e i mavs sono sempre piu' misteriosi, a meno di fuochi di artificio di cuban mi sembra abbiano gia' deciso di non competere per un anello quest'anno... :mmahh:

Offline Bears54

• Idolo delle folle
  • NBA: Chicago Bulls
  • NFL: Chicago Bears
  • NHL: Chicago Blackhawks
« Risposta #6598 il: Dicembre 12, 2011, 05:28:52 pm »
Fossi in Howard alla luce della notizia qui sotto starei attento ad andare ai nets:

MOSCOW -- Mikhail Prokhorov, one of Russia's richest tycoons and the owner of the New Jersey Nets basketball team, said Monday he will run against Prime Minister Vladimir Putin in the March presidential election.

Possibili scenari:

1- Nets nazionalizzati diventano il nuovo CSKA
2- Prokhorov in gattabuia in siberia, nets diventano proprieta' della NBA
3- "tragica fatalita' nell'aria: l'aereo dei new jersey nets colpito da un missile durante esercitazioni dei caccia americani. Muore anche il presidente Prokhorov a pochi giorni dalle elezioni in Russia che lo vedevano favorito contro Putin"  :shok:

:ahahah:
VICENZA CORSAIRS OWNER & GM - MADDEN 12 Season 1 JIM MADDEN LEAGUE SUPERBOWL CHAMPION

“People ask me if I could fly, I said, "yeah.... for a little while."” Michael J. Jordan

Offline contedefa

• Rookie
« Risposta #6599 il: Dicembre 12, 2011, 06:27:35 pm »
Paul forse ai clippers, trade sottoposta alla somma autorizzazione di Zar David...
Qui sembra che giochino a scemo e piu' scemo: all'inizio i clippers volevano dare solo la pick di minnesota, kaman, aminu e bledsoe ma NON gordon, come era logico (sti cazzi se vuoi questo bene altrimenti arrangiati)

E invece no! I clippers sembra che siano inseparabili da bledsoe e gli arriva pure paul, notare che hanno anche mo williams...

E la NBA dovrebbe accettare una trade con questa robazza invece di Odom+Scola+Martin+Dragic che c'era prima???

Bravi bravi, mi sembra di stare nel campionato italiano di calcio con questi giochini cretini... :mmahh:

The New Orleans Hornets and Los Angeles Clippers submitted a multiplayer blockbuster deal to the NBA on Sunday that would send All-Star point guard Chris Paul to Los Angeles, a source with knowledge of the discussions said Monday.

But the trade as submitted has one hitch: The league, which owns the Hornets, wanted Eric Bledsoe, while the Clippers want to keep their point guard, the source said.

The deal would be done if the league hadn't asked for Bledsoe, according to the source.

More From ESPN.com
Kevin Arnovitz says Blake Griffin could be the Clippers' biggest chip in luring Chris Paul to L.A. Story

The trade as submitted would cost the Clippers guard Eric Gordon, center Chris Kaman and forward Al-Farouq Aminu. It would also include Minnesota's first-round draft pick in 2012.

The Los Angeles Times, citing two sources familiar with the discussions, reported late Sunday the deal included Bledsoe, but the source told ESPN that is not so.

per una volta non sono d'accordo con te ma con questo articolo e, in conclusione, con Stern

David Stern's Basketball Reasons
By: Jonathan Tjarks
Dec 12, 2011 12:05 PM EST

In the original three-way trade that would have sent Chris Paul to the Lakers, the New Orleans Hornets would have received a package of Lamar Odom, Luis Scola and Kevin Martin for their departing franchise player.

When David Stern, in his capacity as the acting owner of the Hornets, vetoed this trade for what he dubbed “basketball reasons”, he was widely mocked. His reasoning looked even more suspicious when a predictably bizarre Comic Sans-tinged rant from Dan Gilbert emerged, with the owner of the Cavaliers petulantly demanding that the Lakers not be allowed to acquire another star.

However, in light of the new rumors surrounding Paul’s ultimate destination, Stern may end up being proven correct.

With the Lakers out of the picture, Paul is reportedly favoring the Los Angeles Clippers. And what the Clippers have to offer, in particular the Minnesota Timberwolves’ unprotected first-round pick this season, is far more valuable than any group of veterans New Orleans would have received from Los Angeles and Houston.

Good NBA teams are built around the identity of their best player. Orlando has a roster full of one-dimensional three-point shooters because they have Dwight Howard to protect the rim. Chicago plays a bunch of defensive-minded role players because Derrick Rose can carry their offense single-handedly against most NBA teams.

That’s why there’s no point to trading a superstar for a collection of solid veterans. The team you assemble, without a real identity, isn’t going anywhere. If the original trade had gone through, the Hornets would have had a starting five of Jarrett Jack, Kevin Martin, Trevor Ariza, Lamar Odom and Emeka Okafor.
That’s a decent group, but they would have very little depth behind them. They wouldn’t be in the same class as any of the top eight teams in the new-look West -- Oklahoma City, Dallas, the Lakers, Memphis, Portland, San Antonio, the Clippers and the Pau Gasol-led Rockets. The Hornets would be a .500 team with an outside shot at the playoffs and no real hope for internal improvement.

In a league where losing is rewarded with high draft picks, the worst thing to be is consistently mediocre. A franchise that loses 60 games and gets a top pick is in better shape than a franchise that loses 40 games, as the 40-win one continually watches teams who finish worse acquire the best young players in the draft.

All New Orleans has to do is look at the plight of their most desperate trade partner -- the Houston Rockets. In 2009-10, they finished ninth in the West, but were jumped in the standings last season by a young and rapidly improving Memphis Grizzlies team. After finishing ninth again in 2010-11, they will likely be passed this year by the Clippers, led by a third-year power forward (Blake Griffin) and a fourth-year shooting guard (Eric Gordon).

Next year, their most likely challenger will be a Sacramento Kings team that features Tyreke Evans and DeMarcus Cousins; the year after, it will probably be a Utah Jazz team with a front-court led by Enes Kanter and Derrick Favors. The Jazz, who sunk quickly to get high draft picks after trading Deron Williams rather than trying to stay competitive, are a perfect model for how to rebuild after losing a star.

And while New Orleans could plausibly spin off Martin, Scola and Odom for younger players, if that’s the end goal, there’s no reason to add an additional layer of trades in dealing Paul. Because so much of the roster is built around him, dealing the All-NBA point guard for prospects would ensure the team sinks to the bottom of the standings, guaranteeing at least a top-4 pick in what’s projected to be one of the deepest draft classes in a decade.

The Hornets drafted Paul with the No. 4 pick in the 2006 draft, and the draft is the only realistic way for a small-market franchise to acquire that type of elite talent. In dealing Paul, they should ask themselves this question: do I want to be drafting between No. 10-15 over the next two seasons or between No. 1-5? Which path is more likely to return New Orleans to relevance?

That’s why dealing him to the Clippers for a package built around raw second-year players Eric Bledsoe and Al-Farouq Aminu and the Timberwolves’ unprotected first-round pick (which Kevin McHale rather amusingly gave up as the price for turning Sam Cassell into Marko Jaric) is so compelling.

Minnesota won 17 games last season even with Kevin Love playing at an All-Star level. The additions of Ricky Rubio and Derrick Williams aren’t likely to lift them too far out of the basement, and their only other high-ceiling young players are the enigmatic duo of Michael Beasley and Anthony Randolph, neither of whom “fit” well with Love and Williams.

A Hornets line-up whose best veterans were Ariza, Jack and Okafor, meanwhile, would struggle to win more than 20 games in a normal season. In essence, even more than Bledsoe or Aminu, the most important assets New Orleans would acquire from the Clippers would be two top eight picks in 2012 -- their own and Minnesota’s.
As it stands now, there are at least eight top 6’8+ prospects in the 2012 draft pool -- UNC’s Harrison Barnes and John Henson, UK’s Anthony Davis and Terrence Jones, UConn’s Andre Drummond, Baylor’s Perry Jones III and Quincy Miller and Kansas’ Thomas Robinson. Hit on two of those eight players and you have one of the most intriguing young rosters in the NBA.

Of course, not all prospects work out. There’s still a gamble you don’t draft well, but you’re giving yourself a chance to have a championship-caliber core, or at the very least one capable of 50+ wins. That’s a barrier a core of Odom, Scola and Martin is unlikely to crack.

In an ideal world where the Clippers were forced to find a new owner, they would have a very easy time being sold, even if they were in a much smaller market. Any franchise with two max-caliber stars like Griffin and Gordon is going to be extremely valuable, no matter where they are located.

David Stern is looking to find an owner willing to keep the franchise in New Orleans, which was one of the league’s smallest markets even before Hurricane Katrina. The Saints will always be first there, and an area that has lost one-third of its population since 2006 might not realistically be able to support two professional franchises.

With Paul out the door, the likeliest way for the Hornets to stay is to get lucky and find a star in one of the next two drafts. The trade with the Lakers would have ensured they had little chance to get one, a proposed trade with the Clippers could get them three.

While there’s no way to know what Stern’s motivations actually were in blocking the Lakers trade, there were legitimate “basketball reasons” for his decision

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/blog/217408/David_Sterns_Basketball_Reasons#ixzz1gLGzcwV4